Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Meatloaf, Knitting, & Cookbooks: in no particular order

So I have this obsession with cookbooks. I found that I can go onto Ebay and find almost all the cookbooks I was looking for, gently used at a nominal cost. Since my discovery, and many deliveries later it has become an obsession. One that needs to stop. :) My last purchase will be Kylie Kwong's series of books and Kitchen Confidental. Can't wait!

Knitting. I got it in my head that I was going to make a hat for the boyfriend. So on Saturday Brian took me to this yarn store in Sayville, NY called Rumpelstiltskins Yarns. Cute place that had all the necessities. If they were closer to Brooklyn I would be tempted to take a spinning class. Maybe when I move I can take the classes. I will update more on the status of the hat later.

Meatloaf. The boyfriend asked me to make a meatloaf, however I was daunted by the fact it may not compare to his mom's. So, after going through various websites and my new cookbooks, I decided on an adapation of America's Test Kitchen and my mom's recipe. I also found that my saltine's were no longer good, so I toasted the leftover loaf of whole wheat bread in the oven and ground it up in the food processor. I also didn't have light brown sugar so I subsituted for dark brown sugar and I used distilled vinegar for the glaze. The boyfriend liked it. At least he said he liked it. It was juicy and had the peas that I remember my mom putting in her meatloaf. His mom puts cheese in the middle and in lieu of a glaze, wraps her meatloaf in bacon. A little bit too fatty for me, but I think I'll just ask his mom for her recipe. I served the meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Potatos.

Wheaty Meatloaf

2 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
5 slices Whole Wheat Toast
1 cup Frozen Peas
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground Pepper
1 tsp Thyme
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 Onion Diced
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
dash Paprika
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Milk
2 Tbs Butter
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Glaze
3/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Distilled Vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Take toast and put into a food processor until grainy.

In a skillet on medium heat add the butter and let melt until foamy. Add the onion, thyme, and Paprika. Let cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.

In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, tomato paste, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce.

In a large bowl, add the beef, peas, and bread crumbs. Loosely combine. Create a well in the meat and add the wet mixture. Loosely combine until mixed. Don't overmix.

In another small bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar and whisk together.

I cooked this in my Le Cruset Dutch Oven. I'm sure this can be baked on a baking pan. Place the meat mixture in the dutch over and mold into a loaf. Brush half the meatloaf with the kitchen mixture.

Bake in oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, brush with the rest of the mixture and continue to bake until internal temperature reads 160 degrees.

Garlic Mashed Potatos

2 lbs Potatos Peeled
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1 Tbs Chives
3 Garlic Cloves Minced
1 cup Milk (add more as needed)
2 Tbs Butter
1/2 tsp Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil a pot of water with salt. Once boiling add potatoes and cook until soft. Once soft remove water.

In a saucepan, add the butter and cook until foamy. Add the garlic, chives, paprika. Once fragrant, add milk and sour cream and whisk together.

Mash potatos to desired consistency. Add the milk liquid to the potatos and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: