Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu


The boyfriend had been asking for Chicken Cordon Bleu, so I finally decided to make it. The boyfriend was going to be away at his parents, so I made it him a lunch box for work. One can only eat so much McDonald's. At least he's eating something homemade instead of processed, right? Its nice to cook on a regular basic and for someone who actually enjoys my food!

The recipe was an adaptation of Tyler Florence's Chicken Cordon Bleu. Instead of cooking the chicken straight out of the package I butterflied the chicken breast, pounded them thin, and let them marinade in a mixture of milk, salt, pepper and thyme. I let the chicken marinade for a little more than an hour. I'm sure if I let it sit over night it would have been even juicier. I really liked this recipe. It was really easy to make and the panko crumbs really gave it a nice light crunch. I would probably let it sit in the fridge a bit after rolling it so it had some time to set.

As the sides, I served the chicken with some pan seared carrots and a mushroom and pea risotto. The carrots were how my mom used to make them when I was a kid, but the risotto was a first for me. I stood there stirring and stirring. It was okay. Not great. Next time it'll be better. Maybe if I didn't have a cold I would have been able to taste it better, but oh wells. I need to improve my risotto making technique.


The boyfriend said it was yummy. However, since because my cold was preventing me from really tasting the food I can't vouch for the tastiness. :( I wish my cold would go away. It sucks when everything you eat tastes like cardboard.

I've been pretty good with keeping up with my three times a week bring my lunch in. I havn't been eating out much at all. However, I think I've been spending a lot on ingredients. I wanted to start making Thai and Malaysian food, however the required ingredients are completely different from Chinese ingredients. Now that I have all the basic ingredients I think my costs will go down. I'm slowly trying to get the boyfriend's Irish palate used to the Asian flavors I'm used to. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my fair share of burgers and pasta. However, my mainstay cuisine will always be Chinese. Who doesn't enjoy a nice bowl of rice with a nice fried egg? Yumm!

1 comment:

Ben and Suanne said...

Hi Jennie:
It really doesn't matter if you cannot vouch for the tastiness of the food you prepared. What ultimately counts is when your boyfriend says it is tasty!
Ben