Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Christina's Polish Restaurant

So after a disappointing search for perogies a few weekends ago with the boyfriend, we decided to go to Greenpoint, Brooklyn for some perogies. Based on different reviews that I read at Yelp and Citysearch, I decided on Christina’s.

I ordered the cabbage and mushroom perogies, fried with onions and the boyfriend ordered the potato and cheese perogies, fried with onions. To share, I ordered a plate of potato latkes with apple sauce.

Disappointment ensued. The restaurant was clean and quaint. The waitresses attentive. The food left more to be desired. I guess when I thought the perogies would be pan fried with the onions to get that nice sear on the bottom of the perogies. I didn’t think they would be deep fried. Also, sour cream doesn’t come with it. You need to ask for it. The onions that were there, didn’t even make a difference to the dish. I guess it was a garnish?

I guess my comparisons are to the heavenly perogies I had at Babushka’s Kitchen in Cleveland, OH. Oh, does my mouth water when I think of them. I stumbled upon this restaurant during my cross country trip with my brother. They were the best perogies I ever had! The perogies were as big as my hand and filled with the yummiest filling. The balance between filling and dough were distinct. It makes me want to drive to Cleveland right now. My brother ordered the Octoberfest plate. Another plate of Polish deliciousness. If you're passing through, I highly recommend the place.




So now, my search for a comparable perogie continues…

Christina's Polish Restaurant
853 Manhattan Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11222
(718) 383-4382

Babushka's Kitchen
9199 Olde 8 Rd #D
Northfield, OH 44067
(330) 468-0402
babushkafoods.com

No comments: