Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My First Ever Bento Lunch Sans Bento Box :)


Salmon Skin Rolls with Scallion, Cucumber, and Cream Cheese
Brown Rice with Furikake and Tamagoyaki
Salmon Teriyaki topped with Sesame Seeds
Ham and Cheese Rolls with Cucumber Wedges

So after getting much inspiration from Lunch in a Box, Soy and Pepper and JustBento, I decide to make my first bento type lunch. I've been waiting for my new bento set I ordered from Ikiban to come to make a true bento, but after reading through their sites as well as many others and I decided I couldn't wait anymore. While sitting on the couch with the boyfriend watching some random show, it dawned on me I had a piece of frozen salmon with skin on sitting in my fridge. A light bulb went off. I could make some teriyaki salmon paired with salmon skin rolls. So, I got to work. I gingerly prepared my salmon, taking off the skin, slicing the meat, and the skin into even pieces, and let the meat marinade with a thrown together teriyaki sauce.

Much food pining insued.

It should be noted I had this epihany at 11 o'clock at night. By the time I was done preparing the fish, my stomach was grumbling and all I could talk to the boyfriend about was all the different food I wanted at that given point. It started with Salmon Canapes, then to Smoked Salmon with cream cheese and bagel, and then back to how I can't wait for my bento boxes to come. I was good though. I held out. I didn't eat. It was way past eating time. I just knew I would relish my meals the next day. I concluded the boyfriend must love me. He has to if he was listening to me talk about food for two hours while he was trying to go to sleep.

6:30 AM. After fulfilling my doggie duties bento preparation began. Two hours later and I had made my bento. Now according to Just Bento it should take me about 30-40 minutes to prepare a bento. I think it was because it was my first time. Hehe..I was expecting a quickie. :) However, I was never so satisfied with preparing a lunch. I was so proud. I was like a proud mommy. However, after I took the finished pictures, the boyfriend had woken up and took a look, I realized I had made a lot of food. So, I ended up packing another box for the boyfriend, giving him some rice with half the salmon teriyaki and a few rolls to try. Again, still working on expanding that Irish palate. :)

So as I write this, I'm thinking about my lunch. Oh look at that, its lunch time! Okay time to eat. :)

No comments: